Sunday, March 23, 2008

An immunosuppressant druggie

As a companion post to the immunosuppressants, and continuing the "druggie" series (see "an antihistamine druggie"), here's one for that type of crowd.

Disclaimer for this type of post: Please remember that I am not a health professional of any kind. My notes represent my own experience and reactions to the drugs in the past and present. Your reactions may be different. Nor am I paid by anyone to say either good or bad things about the drugs.

General notes:
  • In Israel (and possibly other countries), many of these drugs are not officially approved for atopic dermatitis, which means you'll have to get a special approval from the Ministry of Health (or FDA, or equivalent in your country). Your doctor should be able to explain how to request this approval, and/or do it him/herself.
  • For all the listed drugs, make sure you read the instructions and leaflet really carefully.
    • These are heavy artillery drugs, not to be taken lightly. Don't play around with'em.
    • Follow whatever it says on the leaflet, including, if necessary:
      • Avoiding alcohol
      • Using extra contraceptives - getting pregnant is not a good idea while taking most or all of these drugs (see original post) .
      • Whatever else it says on there!!! Don't argue, do it.
    • Pay attention to any side effects you may suffer from.
  • Go read the original post about immunosuppressants. This is just a companion to it.

Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune, etc.) - this is the most basic, and most often used immunosuppressant (at least in the department I'm treated in). It's well known for psoriasis and organ transplant. Generally, should not be used for long periods (over 3 months), although it can be, if necessary.
I've been on it for over 7 months now, although I finally seem to be on the right track for switching to a different drug. It worked (works) pretty well for me, but with one major caveat: I needed antibiotics nearly the whole period, for two reasons. (1) I kept catching the flu or getting my throat infected. I'm not a healthy person during the best of times and tend to catch anything that's around; much more so when on immunosuppressants. (2) My skin was also constantly getting infected, which did not help the skin to clear up. Folliculitis was a major issue and caused scratching.

Imuran (
azathioprine) - an older generation drug. Considered a more slow-acting drug, but also one that can be taken for a long time with less severe effects. Didn't work for me at all, so I can't say much for it - sorry. Might work for you, or not. Prof. B. said that it does work on many patients, so maybe I'm the odd-man-out here.

Cellcept (
mycophenolate mofetil) - a very new drug, as of this writing. It is supposedly in addition to cyclosporine, not instead of it. For me, it did the job terribly well, and I would recommend it warmly for most people. However (again - for me), it also had some pretty severe side effects which rendered the medication totally pointless. There was no way I could keep using it. [If you want, you can mail me privately and I'll expand.] Point being - take it if your doctor suggests, but be very aware of any ill effects. What with this drug being so new, even the experts aren't totally sure of how prevalent the various side-effects are. Note: in some countries (Israel included), this drug may not yet be approved or included in the subsidized drug list, especially not for atopic. Israelis, be ready to pay top dollar (err, shekel) for this one.

Methotrexate - a drug also used to treat certain types of cancer. I am now switching to this; so far, so good, but we'll have to wait and see. It is usually given once a week, not every day. There is some cross-drug interaction with cyclosporine, so make sure your dermatologist is aware that you're taking both. From what I understand, it is common to give a test dosage first and see what the body's reaction is, and only then up the dosage. Plus, this is the one drug I've seen that specifies birth defects caused from the male parent as well as the female. There's also some potential issues with blood clotting, which can be overcome by taking folic acid in a very specific manner. Ask your expert to make sure this is discussed.

More drugs will be added if I have the pleasure to interact with them...

No comments: