Friday, May 8, 2009

Stop scratching!

If you have atopic dermatitis, the above sentence is one you're probably used to hearing. Love it or hate it, I doubt that you can stay indifferent to it.

Let's start at the beginning. As I've mentioned before on this blog, it truly is unhealthy to scratch, as it aggravates the skin and worsens your condition. Those are the bare facts.

However, the flip side of the coin is that it's extremely hard to avoid scratching altogether. First of all you might be doing so unconciously, and even if you're aware of it - well, it friggin' itches, doesn't it?

So how the heck are you supposed not to scratch?

It's an open question. There's no real solution, with stupid ones including parents tying their kids' hands (was that an urban legend or the real deal? hmm) through things I've mentioned before like meditation and self-hypnosis, and hand-occupying hobbies to take your mind off scratching.

But let me tell you one very personal thing. I, for one, absolutely cannot stand it when people tell me to stop scratching. So "here's a plea, from my heart to you" - don't tell me to stop. I'll stop when I'm good and ready to.

2 comments:

Brad said...

I understand oh so well. I have been on all the meds you mention and am now going to cellcept since cysclosporine does not seem to be agreeing with me. I wish there was a magic pill and poof no more itch..

Your blog made me smile and you itch all you want...

Brad

mjayne said...

This made me smile also! My mother and others have been telling me for as long as I can remember (I am 22 now) to stop scratching. I've been told that it can't be that hard to not scratch. I think only other people with atopic dermatitis can truly understand how much it can REALLY itch.