Thursday, September 6, 2007

Crème de la Crème

One thing that did not come as a surprise to me at the hospital was the insistence on moisturizing. I had been taking baths and putting creams on my skin for ages. However, the precise nature of these was slightly different than I was used to, especially regarding the creams.

The treatment began with very cortisone-heavy creams. However, as the days passed and my skin cleared up, these were gradually decreased - lower dosages, smaller areas, etc. The main treatment, they explained, will be the immuno-suppressants... and that I gotta keep up the moisture.

So, which creams? Up until now I had been using Vanicream for years. In the hospital they used Eucerin, but not the store-brand one. They mix it up with... olive oil. Precise measurements to follow soon. They recommended I keep using it, and I intend to for now. It leaves the skin feeling quite smooth.

Oh, one more thing. They recommend keeping the creams refrigerated. The idea, as I understand it, is that when you put on the cold cream it has a further soothing effect. Just don't keep it too cold.

And how should you spread the cream? With the palms of your hands, not your fingers. From top to bottom, in the direction of the hair growth, to avoid folliculitis (inflammation of the hair roots).

Baths will come in a separate post.

Edit: with cortisones you're supposed to spread a thin layer, but with the moisturizers, don't be stingy. Other than cost, there's practically no reason not to apply liberally. Just don't forget to use the fragrance-free, paraben-free, everything-free version.

No comments: