Saturday, September 29, 2007

The other allergy

In trying to get rid of the many side effects I had been suffering due to the massive infusion of drugs that I was on, Dr. R in my first checkup recommended stopping to take Phenergan. This drug is an antihistamine that also induces calm and so is expected to ease itchiness. By this point I was sleeping fine at nights

Dr. R was right in a sense. My nasty side effects all but went away. The massive headaches due to noise sensitivity completely disappeared and the worst of the nuasea, dizziness etc. was gone with the wind.

However Dr. R (dermatologist) dismissed my question about replacing the phenergan with another antihistamine. After all, I was getting aerius, wasn't I? That should be enough, said the doctor.

Enough for the itching, maybe. But within two days, I was sniffling and sneezing, my nose was running a marathon, and I was coughing up mucus like it was fifth grade and I was in a spitting contest. In other words, my allergic rhinitis had reared its ugly head, with a little bit of asthmatic mucus as a side dish. After all, before changing to otarex (later switched to phenergan) I was balanced on a two-antihistamines-a-day diet. So backing down to one was definitely not good.

The good news? Once I put the histazine back on, the runny nose ran in to hide and it's back to normal. Or as normal as it gets around here, anyway.

So there's my reverse warning from the last post. Your dermtologist may discount your other allergies. You have been warned.

Drug info in the following post.

No comments: