Monday, September 3, 2007

Things that were, and things yet to come

Phew. I haven't been very active lately, but there were some good reasons for that. So, I am going to tell you a little bit about what has been going on. I'm also going to mention a lot of things that will receive my fullest attention in separate posts. I want to do this right, so I will devote a post to any topic that seems relevant and not go into too many details here. So to avoid repeating myself a lot, I'll write "TBE" - to be explained - wherever I want to write more later. [Edit (6.4.08): these TBE's are now links to the relevant posts, wherever I actually wrote them.]

Around the last time I posted, my situation was already pretty severe, and it was getting worse by the day. I somehow managed to function although I was barely sleeping at nights, scratching constantly and so on.
My situation can be likened to the proverbial boiling frog. For nearly two years my situation was going from bad to worse, with only temporary remissions brought upon by use of cortisones in different formats. I will write a separate post about all the warning signs I missed, should have seen, or didn't know existed... TBE#1. But for now suffice it to say that by the beginning of August, I was near the boiling point.
In hindsight, my situation was actually dangerous (TBE [6.4.08 - due to infections and sleepless nights]). To make a long story short, I came to an appointment with an allergist. As I was waiting for him to show up, the nurses told me in no uncertain terms that they think I should go to the emergency room - a statement which managed to dull the surprise when the allergist took one look at me and said I needed hospitalization. Most importantly he said this should be seeing a dermatologist - that he as an allergist couldn't do enough for me (TBE).
So the very next morning I showed up in the Rambam hospital in Haifa, which evidently hosts one of Israel's best skin departments (if not the best one). I came to the upstairs clinic first, and met with the department head. He was also very clear on the fact that I needed to be hospitalized, and so I was admitted to the hospital.
I spent the following ten days there, and received all-around treatment that has turned my skin upside down, inside-out and altogether amazingly healthy. To me the best part of this was that I received no systemic cortisones but rather a combination of other treatments (TBE), the most important of which being an immuno-suppressive (TBE). Within two days of being there my skin was nearly entirely cleared up. I was still itching, though, and not sleeping at nights; this improved later on (TBE). Finally I was discharged home, and I will continue some of the treatments at home while others are over (TBE...).

With so many things yet to be explained, I want to wrap up this post now with a note of cautious optimism. Right now, my skin is in a wonderful condition, and I intend to do everything in my power to help it stay this way. To this end, and also to help other people be healthier, I plan to post a series of short posts on specific topics that I encountered immediately before and during the hospitalization. I hope that I can follow through with these ambitions.

No comments: